Welcome to Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area
Our mission is to facilitate and enhance the positive development of youth through volunteer friendships, mentoring, and outreach services. Thank you for your interest in our program. On this site you can find out how our program works, why it is important, and how you can get involved. Whether you’d like to become a Big Brother or Big Sister, a member of our Board of Directors, or a participant in one of our fund-raisers, I invite you to take a look. And then invite your friends!
– Exective Director, Tanya Ettenhofer
Volunteering is fun! Being a Big Brother or Big Sister is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things you will ever do.
It’s easy, too. Your Little can join you for the kinds of activities you already like to do, such as:
- Shooting hoops
- Playing a board game
- Sharing a pizza
- Taking a walk in the park
- Or just hanging out and talking.
Researchers found that after 18 months of spending time with their Bigs, the Little Brothers and Little Sisters, compared to those children not in our program, were:
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school
- 37% less likely to skip a class
- 33% less likely to hit someone
- They also found that the Littles were more confident of their performance in schoolwork and getting along better with their families.